Friday, October 2, 2009

Don't Brag - Listen to Mother - Knees Are Important

I had too many choices for a title and I couldn't pick one so you got the top three.
 I know I haven't posted in a while. I had knee surgery on Monday. It is amazing how much better I feel. Even though the pain level is still where it was before the surgery, it is easy to deal with. I know that if I feel like this 72 hours after surgery, then I am really going to feel great after a week.


I thought I would take the time to give you a little background on what happened because so many people have asked.


Never brag. My Mother tried to teach that to my brothers and i. She said that when you brag you will either 1) embarass the person you are bragging to because they don't have or can't do whatever you are bragging about or 2)embarass yourself because the other person has or can do more. She also mentioned something about repercussions, but I knew that would not apply to me.
In 1992 I was sitting in her living room with my boyfriend. Both of them had their fair share of broken bones and they were comparing war stories. Then I got stupid and did it and I wish I could take it back. I piped up with "I'm 32 years old and I have never broken a bone in my body". Famous last words. Less than 24 hours later as I tried to walk and talk at the same time, I slipped. My right foot slipped in water and I landed on the concrete on my left knee. I shattered the patella.

If there is one bone in your body that you do NOT want to break, it is the patella. The knee is a major weight bearing joint. You can only have so many knee replacement surgeries and they last a limited time. At 50 I am too young for the replacement surgery, although my Ortho says that it is what I need.


The surgery on Monday went well. i am already a little bit better off than before the surgery. My pain level is about the same bit it is consistant. Same places all the time. that is alot better than having it hurt so that I can't walk then 5 minutes later, nothing is wrong.


I will find out on the 13th what the Ortho has to say now that he has actually seen the inside of the joint. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Good Luck! And that's no fun :(