Monday, August 3, 2009

New Era: comment = Hug

My husband, Larry, and I both have Facebook pages to keep in touch with family and close friends.  I don't send "gifts", or "hugs", or "plants", or anything else.  I don't see the purpose.  In fact, I don't make many comments on other peoples posts.  I will if the subject interests me or I can make a joke. 

 A few weeks ago, my husband, Larry, and I had a stressful 24 hours.  It started with a phone call from his daughter.  Both of Larry's sons are in the military and both are in Afghanistan.  One of his sons was in an "incident".  Details were sketchy at first and we were worried.  Larry was posting the information on Facebook as it came in. 
I found out that day that during stressful times, Each Comment = 1 Big Hug.  That day each comment left by friends and family reminded us how much they cared. It took 24 hours for Larry to finally speak with his son on the phone.  He is OK.  Just a concussion and 2nd degree burns that he got rescueing the other 3 men in the vehicle.  

So now I get to the title of this blog.  Each comment really did feel like a hug.  They were all warm and soothing.  I know that sounds funny, but we are all tied to our computers now.  It is how we communicate with each other. 

Since then I have tried to be more attentive when I check the posts on Facebook.  Now I am trying to leave a comment when I think the person making the post needs a hug. 

I would like to say "Thank-You" to everyone who left comments for caring enough to give us a  "hug", I mean a comment.

No comments: