Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why I Did Not Follow You on Twitter

********************************************
First let me post a disclaimer:  I found a new way to search for pictures for my blog entries.  I now go to my followers Etsy or Artfire shops to find them.  The pictures in no way relate to the blog topic.  They are just pretty pictures.  If you don't want me to use your pictures just let me know.  Otherwise your shop is fair game.  I will notify you when I have used them. 
*********************************************

Hearts of Blue Purskey by deancustomdesigns
A Twitter account  is a good promotional tool for your business.  It is quick and easy.  You only get 140 characters per tweet so you use just the words you need to say what you want to say.  You don't spend much time trying to use proper grammer.  The flow of your paragraphs is also not important because.....No Paragraphs.

It is easy to build a follower base and to follow others.  Twitter is not for everybody, I am still trying to decide if it is for me.

There are some people in the Twitterverse who follow anyone who has followed them and that is OK.  But the title of this feature is  "Why I Did Not Follow You on Twitter" because there are some of us who are a little on the, let me put it politely, OCD side.  I want to know who you are and why you are here if you are following me.  Then I will know whether of not I will follow back.

When I click to go to your page I don't care whether or not you have fancy graphics or a beautiful layout.  That's more for bloggers.  I am looking at the information that you share on your Home Page and in your tweets.  Here are some of the reasons that I don't follow you:

Ancient Princess Chandalier Earrings by heathershaven
1.  You don't have a bio.  why not?  Who are you? Why are you here?  Tell me something.  Anything.

2.  Your "website" is your Twitter Home page.  Maybe you misunderstood what to put here so there is a little leeway on this one.  I look a little closer to see if you have a webpage or business.

3.  Most of your tweets are about the guy you met and went home with the other night or about how drunk you are going to get or how many times you can drop the F-bomb.  I don't care.  Unless there is a really good reason (like you and Billy Joel are drop by for dinner friends) I don't need to sift through your trash.



Wrist Cuff Hand Embroidery Wisteria Cottage by Waterrose
There are a couple of things that just about guarantee that I WILL follow you no matter what:

1.  Your website or bio refer to your Etsy (Artfire, etc) shop. 

2.  Your website or bio refer to Awareness.  You have a genuine cause that you actively tweet about.

Please understand that I am not suggesting these guidelines to anyone.  These are my guidelines.  I consider myself "new" to Twitter.  Maybe my guidelines will change in a month.  Maybe I won't be tweeting in a month.

I am open to debate on any of these guidelines.  Tell me why they are right or wrong.  Your comment will be published whether you agree with me or not.  The only way your comment won't be published is if you don't want it published.

Thank-you  deancustomdesigns, heathershaven and waterrose.  I used your pictures.  Please visit their shops by clicking on the shop name or view the item listing by clicking on the item name below the picture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for using my picture! You're welcome to any from my sites! I figured if we're willing to put them up, they're fair game to anyone so long as credit is given, which you have done and I thank you :)
I have to agree with your post here, I'm picky about who I follow too.
I will follow musicians and authors as well as artists/crafters. I've met some great people this way!
I won't follow viral marketing sites unless they tweet quotes or something else of interest.
I get a lot of viral marketers and realestate venues, I'm not sure why!
I love twitter lists and hootsuite.com for organizing my lists. I'd be lost with out it!